thoughts shaped by people, places, and experience

T. S. Eliot

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

4.07.2010

Into what depth thou seest...

I was walking home from the Project the other day, and Abby and I were discussing the absolute evil that the kids at the project witness and are subjected to. Murder. Rape. Drug and alcohol abuse. Anger and violence. Prostitution. I found myself, these past few days, very angry at the men and women that inflict such pain on these precious children. I even questioned God, how can you let this happen? You say in your word that you defend the helpless and the weak, that you protect the righteous from wicked people. I was overwhelmed with the wickedness and depravity of the world. How can such evil exist? How can people get away with that sort of thing? How long, Oh Lord?

Then I was humbled in several ways. First of all, I realized that when you start to question God, chances are you’ve forgotten some fundamental truths. The ones I was forgetting were these: men are fallen, depraved creatures. Listen to the words of William Wilberforce:


Even the majority of professing Christians tend to think that the nature of humanity is basically good and is only thrown off course by the power of temptation. They believe that sin and evil are the exception, not the rule. The Bible paints a much different picture. The language of Scripture is not for the faint of heart. It teaches that man is an apostate creature, fallen from his original innocence, degraded in his nature, depraved in his thinking, prone toward evil, not good, and impacted by sin to the very core of his being. The fact that we don’t want to acknowledge these truths is evidence of their veracity. As Milton said in Paradise Lost:

Into what depth thou seest,
From what height fallen!


I was surprised, shocked, to learn that such atrocious acts had been committed. In a sense, we are to be “innocent as doves” when it comes to evil (Mt 10:16), but our wickedness certainly doesn’t surprise God, nor should it surprise us when pagans act like pagans. There is something inside of me that wants to deny my fallen state, and the state of those around me. I want to paint a pretty picture, when only Christ and the work he did on the cross can paint that picture.

God gave me an answer to my questions. It wasn’t what I was expecting (when will I learn it never is?) His ways are certainly above my ways. I found Him speaking to me through Psalm 37.

Do not fret because of evil men
Or be envious of those who do wrong;
For like the green grass they will soon wither,
Like green plants they will soon die away.
Trust in the Lord and do good;
Dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Delight yourself in the Lord
And he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the Lord;
Trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
The justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him;
Do not fret when men succeed in their ways,
When they carry out their evil schemes.
Refrain from anger and turn from wrath;
Do not fret- it leads only to evil.
For evil men will be cut off,
But those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land.
A little while, and the wicked will be no more;
Though you look for them, they will not be found.
But the meek will inherit the land and enjoy great peace.
The wicked plot against the righteous
And gnash their teeth at them;
But the Lord laughs at the wicked,
For he knows their day is coming.
The wicked draw the sword and bend the bow
To bring down the poor and needy,
To slay those whose ways are upright.
But their swords will pierce their own hearts,
And their bows will be broken.

Verses 1-15

Do not fret. That was my answer. Do not fret when wicked men succeed; when they carry out their evil schemes. God laughs at them. He knows their time is coming. He knows that it would be better if they had a millstone tied around their neck, and they were dropped in the sea to drown. My place is not to judge and condemn. My job is to love them, pray for them, and refrain to anger, because it leads only to evil.

And why am I able to do this? I must have the response that Jesus had to the men that put him to death. Jesus was the most innocent of men, yet suffered the worst of punishment. He knows about unearned suffering and abuse. What does the scripture say about Jesus, the Son of God? What choice did he make? “he entrusted himself to him who judges justly” (1 Peter 2:23)

Who am I to have any other response?

Please pray for these children. Pray that their hearts will be healed, and that rather than rejected God out of anger and bitterness, they will turn to him and be saved. Pray that Abby and I will love them and take every opportunity available to share the love of Christ with them.

Much love to all.


P.S. We have another group from Georgia this week! That makes three!

P.P.S. I have a growing list of restaurants that I want to eat at when I return (which is crazy soon!), including Panera, Jasons Deli, Senor Tequila, Chic Fil A, Delicious Temptations, IHOP and Dunkin Donuts. If anyone wants to take me to any of these places, just holla at me...

3 comments:

  1. Oh my sweet Rachel,
    I love when we hear His voice through remembered Scripture. I will pray for those precious little ones.
    I will gladly take you to any or all of those restaurants when you get home! Can't wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The question of evil is one that never seems to go away. Thank you for your thoughtfulness in working through it. You have helped me! I'll have a Sonic burger and 2 Dunkin donuts please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see you guys either! Ya'll have been SO great about keeping up with me and making me not feel too far from home :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Little Rock, AR, United States
I want to learn how to love as I have been loved.

Followers