thoughts shaped by people, places, and experience

T. S. Eliot

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

7.20.2010

Well, why not?

(note: I realize that I said I’d write about hammocking, but the Arkansas summer has defeated me, for now. I’ll wait til fall rolls around.)

What are some of your dreams? If you could accomplish something, hone some skill, or travel to a country, what would it be and where would you go?

I’d love to own a bakery. I’d love to make cookies and scones for people all day. My sister Becca and I talk about opening a bakery/café someday, hopefully in New Symrna Beach, Florida.



Here’s something else I’d love to do: an internship with International Justice Mission. I could live in some of the most oppressed countries in the world, fighting to end modern day slavery and sharing the hope I’ve found in Jesus.

Or… perhaps do some graduate studies at Cambridge University? I fell in love with Cambridge, and the UK, when I was there in 2007. The registration page is right here. Why not apply?

And while I’m over there, why not backpack through Europe?



Or maybe I should study theology? I never get tired of talking about and learning about God. It would be awesome to learn Greek and Hebrew. I could attend RTS Orlando and live with my grandparents, Joyce and Pop.

I asked myself as I washed my car yesterday… Why do I look to the future and feel confined? I was surprised at the answer I found: laziness. I am frightfully lazy. It’s not that I’m afraid, or that they’re impossible because of my finances, it’s that I’m lazy. I’m too lazy to work for the money. I’m too lazy to make the connections and do the work necessary to make my dreams real.

Now, don’t hear me say that “you can do anything you put your mind to.” That’s pretty much a lie. But if my dreams don't come to fruition, I don’t want the fault to be mine. I want to give everything my best shot and see what the results are. I want to “commit my plans to the Lord, so that they may be established.” (pr 16.3) And if they don’t come to pass, then I know that it wasn’t his best for me. (rom 8.28)

If you have a minute, tell me about something you dream about accomplishing. It doesn’t have to be a big-picture dream. Maybe you’d like to learn the cello, run a marathon, or study Einstein’s theories of relativity. Whatever it is, realize that dreams take a lot of energy, work, and planning.

But it’s a truly freeing thought to open your mind and dream. Dream about the things that get you excited. Realize that God designed you with those unique gifts and interests, and brainstorm about how God can use them to advance his kingdom and bless others.

5 comments:

  1. this is good. really good. i'm dreaming about riding my bicycle around for a while. that's why i'm going to chainwheel with dr. d on wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, this is a great post! Very thought-provoking. My own dreams have changed a lot over the years. With each new phase God takes me through, my desires and dreams seem to morph into things I never would have thought I wanted before. And He's taken me to places I never thought I'd go and blessed me with things and people that I never would have thought to wish for. I wish I had documented my dreams when I was younger so I could look back on them to see how God has granted those dreams or given me new ones. That would be interesting to look back on.

    Oh, and you can make cookies and scones for me any time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Girl!

    Sweet post. What have I really wanted to do for a while?

    1) Yes, I really did/do want to know why Einstein's Theory of Relativity is such a big deal. I even bought his book about it a couple years ago and started slogging through it.

    2) Travel the world and learn about people and God's Kingdom in different countries. I want to know what makes people and society tick. I want to see how I can plug in and how I can get other like-minded Christians plugged in to bring Jesus to the world.

    3) Since I quit playing, I've always wanted to take up violin again... It was fun. Either that or *continue singing lessons. I've learned a lot since studying with Ericka at El Faro.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you heard of Strengths Finder? It's a great way to discover and develop your natural gifts and talents. http://www.strengthsfinder.com/113647/Homepage.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Rachel....

    Why not come back to the Abraham Project and help me start my BBQ restaurant? I am sure we need a good dessert line that I am sure you could develop.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Little Rock, AR, United States
I want to learn how to love as I have been loved.

Followers