thoughts shaped by people, places, and experience

T. S. Eliot

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

8.03.2010

a healthy habit of withholding

This weekend, on Friday night, I shut down my laptop. I didn’t turn it back on until Monday morning. I stayed off of Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Hulu, The Food Network, blogger, and all the other sites that I browse and read articles on and look at clothes that I don’t have money to buy anyways.

I turned my laptop off, zipped up the case, and stuck it in the second drawer down from the top of my dresser.

It was freeing and wonderful. Instead of checking my email first thing in the morning, I read a book over coffee. Instead of wasting time creeping on all sorts of people’s photos, I played a little piano. Out of sight, out of mind. It is so freeing and wonderful. Perhaps you could turn your phone off and hide it under your pillow for the afternoon. Do the same with your laptop, your iPad, your iPod, TV, Kindle, PSP, etc. then HIDE them. If you use a desktop computer, cover it with a t-shirt or towel.

We thrive on connection. Being in touch and informed has never been so easy. We have the ability to be ever learning and stimulated by the world. We’re a google away from knowing almost any fact we could want to know, and a website away from viewing and coveting the latest Fall Favorites from UO. Our world has been “fiber optically connect[ed to] every eager impulse.” (John Milton, The Devil’s Advocate)

This ability can be used for so much good (as evidenced by the fact that the medium of which I am warning you is the one I employ to convey that warning). But from personal experience, this world of instant connection can make me very dull. Very lazy. Very unoriginal. I find myself conforming to an idea or style I saw, not because it’s what I like or need, it’s just something I saw online. When I get to the point where my time and energy are depleted by my e-life, I know it’s time to take a break.

I find this video helpful and actually entertaining. Enjoy, then consider quitting Safari or exiting Internet Explorer.

Love you guys and gals.

4 comments:

  1. "We thrive on connection." Interesting thought when we really on thrive and survive through our connection with our Abba, Father and His Son, the LORD JESUS CHRIST. That connection requires a quiet, undistracted heart. Thanks for this reminder. I need to have a shut down myself. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree! I try to take Sundays as computer-free days. And it's hard! Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did that with music one day. I am always listening to something, whether it's at work, car, home...you name it. After reading a convicting chapter from the Worldliness book from CJ Mahaney, I took a day of 'silence'. Boy, was that hard. By 8:30AM I was itching to turn on some music just to get rid of the silence. That whole day of no music made me realize how much I actually idolized over having something to listen to. God taught me a lot in those 24 hours.

    Your idea is great and something I am definitely inspired to do. :D

    Thanks, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty sweet stuff Rache...look who's just a'bloggin' away...no but that's awesome insight.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Little Rock, AR, United States
I want to learn how to love as I have been loved.

Followers