thoughts shaped by people, places, and experience

T. S. Eliot

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

5.02.2011

God weeps over Moab

late last night, as my roommates and I were studying for finals, we heard the news that Osama Bin Laden had been found and killed in a Navy SEALS operation.

I revisited a moment from when I was 11 years old and I saw the twin towers crumble to the ground. I heard Peter Jennings utter “Oh my God” in confused anguish, and then fall into silence.

and now, the man who caused such destruction, such pain and suffering and death, had himself met justice. but what does this mean for him? he now stands before the God of the universe, the creator of Arabs and Americans, and is asked to give an account for his life.

This morning I read Isaiah 14-16, which details three prophecies of destruction against three nations that had scorned the authority of God and oppressed his people Israel. The last nation to be condemned was Moab, who was condemned because of “his arrogance, his pride, and his insolence” (16.6).

a remarkable aspect of this prophecy is the compassion which God has for those who are condemned.

“My heart cries out for Moab” (15.5)

and God charges his people with compassion, to imitate his heart for this broken and twisted group of people:

Let the outcasts of Moab sojourn among you;

be a shelter to them

from the destroyer.

when the oppressor is no more,

and destruction has ceased,

and he who tramples underfoot has vanished from the land,

then a throne will be established in steadfast love,

and on it will sit in faithfulness

in the tent of David

one who judges and seeks justice

and is swift to do righteousness. 16.4-5

God promises a day of restoration, when his Son will come again and do justice. He will punish those who have oppressed others, and welcome those who have claimed his righteousness.


let's imitate the compassion of God.

2 comments:

  1. agreed. good thoughts.

    PS:

    WRITE MORE OFTEN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you sir :)

    and I intend on doing so. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Little Rock, AR, United States
I want to learn how to love as I have been loved.

Followers